We only took a one month break but there are so many new (and a few old) books to talk about! We put together a list of ten titles of interest to start out the Fall with.
1) Etel Adnan's Shifting the Silence (out in September) is the latest by the 95-year-old Lebanese artist and poet.
2) The Fourth Shore, Alessandro Spina, tr. André Naffis-Sahely, is the latest volume of the author’s monumental series, The Confines of The Shadow, to be translated. You can read about Spina -- who came from a Syrian family, grew up in Libya, and wrote in Italian -- here.
3) A bilingual collection of the renowned Iraq female poet Nazik al-Mala'ika, Revolt Against the Sun, tr. Emily Drumsta (out in October)
6) A Country For Dying, by the Moroccan novelist Abdallah Taia, tr. Emma Ramadan, tells the stories of several immigrants and refugees in Paris, seeking new lives and escape from violence and repression.
7) Straight from the Horse's Mouth Meryem Alaoui tr. Emma Ramadan (September) is narrated by a prostitute in Casablanca.
8) Between Beirut and the Moon, A. Naji Bakhti, is a collection of humorous essays about the author’s family and growing up in post-civil-war Beirut.
10) Sonia Nimr’s Wondrous Journeys in Strange Lands tr. you very own MLQ.